We will offer five, full-time, four-year studentships. Available funding will include programme fees at the off-site student rate, contribution to research support costs and stipend.
Application Deadline: 10th December 2020
About the Award: There are 5 PhD opportunities. Each studentship will work on one of the following themes:
- Research Uptake to maximise research impact at the African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) in Nairobi, Kenya or Lilongwe, Malawi.
- Theory driven development of a contextualised and targeted active TB case finding for the youth in Kenya based at the Respiratory Society of Kenya (ReSoK) in Nairobi
- Modelling interventions to improve engagement of young adults and men in tuberculosis active case finding in high HIV prevalence settings based at the Malawi-Liverpool Wellcome Trust (MLW) in Blantyre, Malawi
- Development of gender sensitive TB screening interventions for community settings in Uganda and Nigeria based at the Zankli Research Centre (ZRC) in Abuja, Nigeria
- Evaluation of the feasibility, affordability, acceptability and effectiveness of a gender transformative TB screening interventions in formal health systems in Uganda and Nigeria based at the Makerere Lung Institute (MLI) in Kampala, Uganda.
Follow the links to find out more about the research and the appliction process.
- Applicants must hold a first class, or high upper second-class Honours degree (or equivalent) in an area relevant to the available projects for the LIGHT Consortium PhD Programme.
- Where an applicant does not meet this requirement (e.g. they hold a lower second class undergraduate degree), they may be eligible to apply if they also hold a master’s degree with an awarded distinction or equivalent (in an area relevant to their proposed PhD) and are able to provide an award certificate and transcript for both qualifications. Unfortunately, we are unable to consider masters qualifications that have not yet been awarded.
- Please provide full details of any relevant academic qualifications that you hold and upload both award certificate and transcript. If you do not have a transcript, you should request this from the awarding institution.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be Taken at (Country): Uganda, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria.
Number of Awards: 5
Value of Award: Available funding will include programme fees at the off-site student rate, contribution to research support costs and stipend. Stipends will be in alignment with the standard allocation made by each host institute.
Duration of Award: 4 years
How to Apply: This studentship will be in collaboration with the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine who will be the awarding body of the PhD. All applications must be submitted on the LSTM online system via MyLSTM(link is external).
These notes are intended to assist you in completing your LIGHT Consortium PhD application form online as efficiently as possible.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.