The IEEE International Symposium on Women in Services Computing (WISC) 2022 will be awarding a total of 12 scholarships, as we continue our mission to support women pursuing technical educations. Candidates must be attending an accredited engineering or computer science institution. Both graduate and undergraduate students are eligible for the scholarships, excluding past awardees.
The IEEE WISC Scholarship Program started in 2021 as a cornerstone of our commitment to growing the technical community of women in services computing all over the world. The scholarship program is sponsored jointly by IEEE World Congress on Services (SERVICES), IEEE Technical Community on Services Computing (TCSVC), and CCF (China Computer Federation) Technical Committee on Service Computing (TCSC). 2021 awardees and their respective acceptance speech videos (hosted by the YouTube channel of IEEE Computer Society) are available at the URLs below:
- Announcement URL: https://conferences.computer.org/services/2021/awards/
- Videos (start at 56:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9PqZkP5qho&list=PLHJB2bhmgB7fJI6oAVuh2V0cq6WeVViN3&index=18&t=953s
We will begin accepting applications on April 15, 2022.
Please carefully review the information below for application details. Applications will only be considered if all the materials are complete and submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the June 15 deadline.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com
April 15, 2022: Scholarship Application Process Opens
June 15, 2022: Scholarship Applications DEADLINE
July 7, 2022: Award Notifications
July 12: Awardee announcement at the IEEE WISC symposium
ITEMS NEEDED FOR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
- Name and contact information of student (including email, phone and home address)
- Short bio (maximum 200 words)
- Personal statement (limit of 500 words)
* Include Academic /Technical interests, contributions to the community etc.
- Transcript(s). All transcripts must be in English and legible. If the grading system is not easily understood, please clarify. (e.g., A grade = xxxx, B grade = xxxx, etc.)
- At least one recommendation letter
* Please ensure your name and email address are included in the recommendation letter, as well as your relationship to the recommender
* Limit 1 page
- Completion of the IEEE SERVICES 2022 Consent and Release Form for public distribution of award acceptance speech. [add link]
All scholarship awardees will be given a complimentary one-day registration pass to IEEE SERVICES 2022 on July 12, the day the WISC Symposium is held under the hybrid event model, supporting both in-person and remote participation. All awardees must attend the announcement ceremony and accept their awards at the Symposium. Excusable absence request must be submitted and approved in time to avoid awardee revocation.
Kaoutar El maghraoui, Principal Research Staff Member, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Bouchra Bouqata,Senior Machine Learning & AI Scientist, Amazon Robotics
Shubhi Asthana, Senior Research Software Engineer, IBM Almaden Research Center
Àngela Nebot, Associate Professor, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya – BarcelonaTech (UPC)
Lorraine Herger, IBM Retiree and Former Director of AI Infrastructure, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Manar Abu Taleb, Professor and Chair of Research Outreach Department at University of Sharjah
Houda Chakiri, Assistant Professor of Computer Science, Al Akhawayn University Ifrane
Chen Wang, Research Staff Member, Container Cloud Platform, IBM Research
Bhavani Thuraisingham, Distinguished Professor of Computer Science and the Executive Director of the Cyber Security Research and Education Institute, University of Texas at Dallas
Ruchi Mahindru, Senior Technical Staff Member at IBM Research and Master Inventor, IBM Research
Mercy Bodarky, Program Manager, Research IT Security & Compliance, IBM Research
Misbah Mubarak, Senior Software Engineer at Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Yousra Aafer, Assistant Professor at University of Waterloo
Honorary General Chairs
Carl K. Chang, Iowa State University
Rong N. Chang, IBM Research, TJ Watson Research Center
Jianwei Yin, Zhejiang University
Ernesto Damiani, University of Milan
Shangguang Wang, Beijing University of Posts & Telecommunications